What You Need To Know Before Going On An Africa Safari To Rwanda
Welcome to the second segment of the series of our Rwanda safari tips, In our previous series, we looked some of these tips which included, the location of Rwanda, weather of Rwanda, currency used in Rwanda, cultural of Rwanda, driving tips in Rwanda, accessing Rwanda. In our final series, let’s have a round of the remaining travel tips.
As you prepare to go for your Rwanda gorilla safari or Rwanda tour, you need to have a valid passport which is at least valid for a minimum of 6 months. With your passport in hand, you are now in one step closer to making it Rwanda for your gorilla safari adventure in Rwanda
Before you finally secure the legality to enter you need a visa, and there are numerous requirements you need to full fill before you finally granted a VISA to enter Rwanda.
Here are some of the pre-conditions you may need to fulfil in order to obtain a Rwanda visa especially if you are coming from European or American countries according to Rwanda government agency.
- An applicant MUST submit a valid passport or another acceptable travel document.
- The document must have a validity of at least 6 months on the day of entry in Rwanda.
- Applicant must provide a photocopy of the passport or travel document.
- Applicant must submit duly completed one (1) visa application formin his/her own hand writing or in type.
- Applicant is required to provide two passport photographs with white background and both ears in view.
- Signed accompanying letter explaining the purpose for travelling to Rwanda.
- An invitation letter with a copy of passport/ID of the inviting party (if your host is Rwandan), or copy of residence permit (if your host is not Rwandan). If you will not have a host in Rwanda, you need to provide a confirmation of hotel accommodation booking.
- Proof of payment (Non-Refundable/Non-Transferable) into High Commission Bank Account
- Return flight confirmation/copy of return itinerary.
- A prepaid, recorded and self-addressed envelope must be included with an application submitted by post. Alternatively, an applicant may arrange collection of their passport by a courier.
- An applicant must have sufficient funds to cover the costs of their stay in Rwanda. Evidence for such funds may be requested at the High Commission or at the entry point.
- UK Travel Document (UN Convention of 1951) holders are requested to provide the above along with proofs of address in the form of a current bank statement or current utility bill.
- A vaccination certificate may be required at the border post. In the event of a major disease outbreak, specific requirements could be set and put to the knowledge of the public.
- The visa process takes 3 working days (4 working days for Travel Documents) for a complete file.
- NOTE: Because of the increased number of applicants, we advise applicants to allow themselves enough time between the date of application and the date of travel.
Unlike many African countries that require a Yellow fever immunization certificate, Rwanda is, on the other hand, is Yellow fever-free hence it isn’t mandatory for you to immunize yourself against yellow in preparation for a Rwanda gorilla tour. However, if you’re planning on visiting other neighbouring countries of East Africa as part of your travel itinerary then you may still be required to have yourself immunized against yellow fever.
What to see when visiting Rwanda.
It is a public secret that Rwanda is a home to the magical gorillas hence most of the tourist who comes to Rwanda are here to engage in a stunning Rwanda gorilla safari to Volcanoes National Park which is Rwanda’s home of the spectacular wild gorillas that are considered endangered since the world has only 1063 of them living in their natural habitat. A Rwanda gorilla trip to Volcanoes national park gives you an opportunity to see any of the 11 gorilla families that have been habituated to give you nothing but a Rwanda gorilla tour experience of a lifetime.
Kigali Genocide memorial
Besides the gorillas, you can also visit the Kigali genocide memorial. This memorial was built to pay tribute to the millions of Rwandese that lost their lives during the 1994 Rwandan genocide. This memorial also is used by the Rwandan people as a constant reminder to them about their troubled history but also a symbol of hope that a new Rwanda emerges from the rumble with a new generation of Rwandese united than never before in order to ensure that this dark side of Rwanda’s history never comes back to haunt them.
Iby’iwacu cultural village
Iby’iwacu community is a village that is located in Kinigi on the fringes of Rwanda’s iconic Volcanoes national park which is frequented by thousands of Rwanda safari makers who come here to track the magical gorillas as well as the elusive golden monkeys. This cultural village was created to create alternative employment to the locals that were removed from within the park boundaries. The name Iby’iwacu means treasure of cultural heritage, the community displays the cultural heritage of our Rwanda which is done through dance and drama.
Located in the Western end of Rwanda, Lake Kivu is considered one of the cleanest lakes in Africa. This lake is Rwanda’s water recreation site which adored by numerous Rwanda tour makers who would wish to enjoy water based leisure activities as it is home and it is home to many water resources
Best time to visit Rwanda
In order to experience the thrill of tracking these adorable giants but shy mountain gorillas in Volcanoes National Park Rwanda, visit during the dry season months June- October and January – February. The dry season is the best time to track gorillas in Volcanoes National Park because accessibility is quite easy during this time of the year and the trails for gorilla tracking are also navigable. During these dry months, the weather is very fine with temperatures ranging in the mid-20s and there are low chances of rain though it may occasionally rain especially in the afternoon hours. You can also track gorillas during the wet months, as gorilla families tend to stay nearer in the lower slopes of these ranges due to abundance of food in these lower slopes of the ranges hence making the trekking time shorter and quite easy for you but still loaded with a multitude of unimaginable experience.
We have come to the end of our Rwanda Safari tips, I hope this helps you in planning for your Rwanda safari adventure. See you when you get there.
Are you in for a thrilling Rwanda gorilla safari or a Uganda tour? Check out our Rwanda gorilla tracking safaris website. This website gives you a myriad of Rwanda gorilla tour packages. Rwanda gorilla safaris are carried out in Volcanoes National Park, Volcanoes is home to over 10 gorilla families that have been habituated to give you an ultimate Rwanda gorilla tour experience. These gorilla trekking in Rwanda have been classified into short Rwanda gorilla tours and these run between 1- 5 days for example 1 day Rwanda gorilla safari tours and 2 days Rwanda gorilla safaris. There are also long Rwanda safari tours, these run between 6-9 days for example 6 days Rwanda gorilla chimpanzee safaris. Since Uganda is also another fascinating Africa safari destination which shares quite similar attractions like Rwanda has, these attractions in range from savanna wildlife attractions that are found in Queen Elizabeth National Park, Murchison Falls National Park Kidepo Valley National Park and Lake Mburo National Park. Uganda is also a gorilla destination and Uganda gorilla safaris are carried out either in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park or Bwindi Impenetrable National Park which can be visited for a spectacular Uganda gorilla tour experience. After a magical gorilla tour in Uganda, you can always visit Lake Bunyonyi Uganda and enjoy the stunning views of this magical lake. A visit to Lake Bunyonyi gives you an opportunity to experience a boat ride on Africa’s second deepest lake.. Regardless of the length of your stay in Africa, you can enjoy either a short Uganda safari tour or a long Uganda safari tour experience visiting several attractions in Uganda. However, if you don’t want to miss out on experiencing what each country has to offer, you can also have a combined Uganda Rwanda safari tours options which will see you visit the two countries of Uganda and Rwanda in a single safari package such as 5 days Uganda Rwanda gorilla trekking safari.
Here are some of the best Rwanda safari packages
- 1 day Rwanda gorilla safari
- 2 days Rwanda gorilla trekking tour
- 3 days Rwanda gorilla safari
- 4 days Rwanda gorilla safari with golden monkeys
- 5 Days Rwanda gorilla safari with Chimpanzees
- 6 days Rwanda Primate safari
- 8 days Rwanda gorilla trek safari with chimpanzees